Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Duty to Beauty

The governor of Wisconsin is going to nix any law that would permit the hunting of feral cats, which are blamed for the deaths of 47 million to 139 million songbirds a year in that state.

It's not illegal here in California. At least I don't think it is.


 Posted by Hello
I bagged this beauty with a thirty-ought-six and a 125-grain load in the Santa Monica Mountains, just outside Malibu. The taxidermy fees were a bit steep, and there's not much meat. But these buggers are a worthy adversary for the dedicated varmint hunter---clever and quick as, well, cats.

The songbirds in California are particularly beautiful; they sweeten the very air with their angelic calls and I do love them so. Both they and the Golden State are better off with "Fluffy" on my mantelpiece, where this ruthless killer can do no further harm.

I urge Gov. Doyle to reconsider his position on this vital issue of aesthetic good vs. evil.

No comments: